ClipSync was released end of May 2012 and it had about 1200 user downloads by the end of June thanks to some great android blogs like Droid Life, androidpolice and the Chinese site appappapps.com. After that things came to a halt, and searching the web for things like “copy paste between android and pc” didn’t show ClipSync in the first ten Google results anymore.
I had been working on a major update during the month of June, but wasn’t quite satisfied about the way my code looked yet. I was thinking about rewriting the whole thing from scratch. But a friend told me to release it anyway. The next couple of weeks I spent some of my free time on making a new website and a promotional video and then I released the update. I expected the update to trigger some more downloads. But nothing happened. The average remained at about 5 user downloads per day.
I decided to e-mail some android covering websites to let them know about my app. To my surprise ClipSync received a 5 star expert review on androidtapp.com and two days later the app was featured on the portal of xda developers. Soon a lot of other blog sites, including redmond pie, addictivetips and a whole bunch of spanish and arab blogs followed. For 3-4 days ClipSync was a real internet sensation, with a peak of 631 device installs on the 13th of August alone.
At the moment ClipSync has been installed by almost 4,000 unique users. The last five days the number of device installs seems to have stabilized at around 90/day. I’m very happy with that number, because it looks like the 3 days of fame have had a permanent effect on the number of downloads.
I will keep working on ClipSync and post here occasionally about it’s progress. I promise I will only post when I have something important or useful to say, so please feel free to subscribe to the RSS feed.